Targeting IGCSE and IBMYP (12-14 years)
During these crucial years at the Middle School, international schools start orienting their students towards international curricula and examinations namely, IGCSE and/or IBMYP. This is done bearing in mind the international examinations that students take at the end of Grade-10.
Our English classes give our Middle School students a head start in their journey through the IBMYP and IGCSE curricula. Preparing them in the following essentials boosts their linguistic skills and keeps them ahead of the curve:
- Grammar: All essential grammar topics are revised in depth. Detailed worksheets provide ample practise to enable students to not just learn grammatical rules, but also to employ correct grammatical usage in speech and writing.
- Vocabulary: It’s not just about rote learning new words, but learning how to use them in your own speech and writing. Vocabulary also involves acquiring creative expressions, idioms and proverbs to make one’s language erudite.
- Reading & Comprehension: International examinations do not just test your literal comprehension of a given text, but test your comprehension of the layers of meaning and creative use of language (use of simile, metaphor, irony, imagery etc). We guide our students practise literal and figurative understanding of poetry and prose texts.
- Creative Writing: Using well-crafted notes and worksheets, our students practise a wide spectrum of Creative Writing tasks: Opinionated/Persuasive Writing, Discursive Writing, Narrative Writing, Descriptive Writing, Expository Writing, Letter/E-mail Writing, among others.
- Literature: We endeavour to introduce our students to all genres of literature: prose as well as verse. The literature texts are followed by worksheets with questions practising comprehension questions, vocabulary, appreciation of linguistic features and text-based creative writing tasks.